Here’s the thing – I have been a motivational speaker for the past 16 years, but I think that motivation is a myth. If not a myth, then it’s a least a massive oversimplification of how people achieve their dreams.
I’ve found that motivation is often the RESULT of action, not the cause of it.
That’s why in this week’s show we discuss the Harvard-researched concept of the progress principle. I cover:
- Why we should focus on the ‘small wins’ or ‘tiny victories’ rather than the end goal
- How to figure out what meaningful actions we need to take to move closer to our goal
- Some practical strategies to use when we start to feel overwhelmed or anxious
That’s it for now – I’m off to pack as my panda-obsessed daughter and I are going to celebrate half term by visiting Edinburgh Zoo, home to the UK’s only giant panda 🐼!
Thanks so much for joining me and don’t forget to choose your attitude – it’s the one thing we have a choice about.
Resources from this week’s Choose Your Attitude Show
- Your Best Year Ever Guide: www.debrasearle.com/goals
- The Power of Small Wins by Teresa Amabile & Steven J. Kramer, Harvard Business Review – https://hbr.org/2011/05/the-power-of-small-wins
- The meditation app developed by my amazing university friend Andy: https://www.headspace.com/
- My Venetian Dragon Boat Adventure
- The Sisterhood’s English Channel Crossing
- The LeasePlan Women’s Arctic Challenge
Want to know when I release a new video? Just hit the ‘subscribe’ button below.