My twin sister Hayley Barnard is a marathon open water swimmer. She’s even swum the English Channel… in just a bathing suit… in October… that’s bonkers! Every day she looks forward to downloading the data from her watch after a training session and seeing how far she’s swum and at what speed and then entering that on to her spreadsheet against her planned mileage. Maybe she’s just a geek but it’s what drives her on.
Research shows that monitoring goal progress is a crucial process that intervenes between setting and attaining a goal and helps to ensure that goals are translated into action. Whatever success looks like for you – whether it’s lifting that award in the air or finally finishing your novel – a crucial step is finding a way of tracking your progress that works for you. Unfortunately, not all of us are like Hayley when it comes to goal monitoring, so in this show I get really practical about the ways I have found helpful to monitor my goal progress and what the research tells us about which methods work best.
Resources from this week’s Choose Your Attitude Show
- Your Best Year Ever Guide: www.debrasearle.com/goals
- My Get Fit Blueprint: www.debrasearle.com/fit
- Does Monitoring Goal Progress Promote Goal Attainment? A Meta-Analysis of the Experimental Evidence https://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/bul-bul0000025.pdf
- My wonderful cycle coach Holly: http://www.springcyclecoaching.co.uk/home/
- My inspirational twin sister’s Channel Swim: https://youtu.be/T2MFAIjqyvY
Want to know when I release a new video? Just hit the ‘subscribe’ button below.